Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 March 2011

Update + Brief Impressions

Hey, I apologise that it's been a while since my last entry...I really wanted to do a 'First Impressions of Winter 2011' post, but as work and things got in the way I began to fall behind with most of the series I was watching. By the time I'd finally caught up with them, most of them were 7 or 8 episodes in and it became way too late. So instead, I've decided to give a quick outline of the series I'm currently watching at the moment (regardless of season), a brief opinion on each, then I'll post a 'Final Thoughts on...' entry for each series individually as I finish them. Then, hopefully next season I'll learn from my mistakes and make the opportunity to write up a first impressions much earlier.
Anyway, let's begin.

Carried over from previous seasons:
  • Bleach - Generally like Bleach's story, though of course filler can be a hassle. Particularly random one-episode filler. The series seems to be pretty much over, so I'm wondering if they'll continue to follow whatever the manga's doing now or just end it here. If they're ending it now, I'm also wondering why they appear to be dropping filler on us after the end of the main story.
  • Bakuman - Absolutely loving it. I've found it very engaging so far, I love the characters and cannot wait to see where it goes.
  • To Aru Majutsu no Index II - Still about five episodes behind with Index, but still enjoying it. I'm a fairly big Index fan, but mainly for the characters, the plots often confuse me. I'd generally rate it as a very entertaining series, as opposed to a very good one.
From this season:
  • Hourou Musuko - Beautiful series so far. The art style's amazing and the characters seem so believable and real. Most likely my pick of the season.
  • Gosick - My other contender for favourite this season, I'm really enjoying it. I love Victorique's character, and really like murder mystery stories in general, so this is really my kind of thing. I was very glad to hear it's a 24 episode series as well, as opposed to just 12/13.
  • Fractale - I've liked this so far, but it hasn't been amazing. I've definitely found it enjoyable, nice characters, very interesting and quite unique setting, it's been good so far. It just hasn't quite caught me yet, if you see what I mean.
  • Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - I'm still not sure what I think of this. I'm a big fan of magical girl series, and while I respect that Madoka's attempting a complete new take on the genre (well, almost complete, but I'm not the first, nor will I be the last to draw the parallel's with Nanoha), I'm not sure I'm a fan of everything Madoka's bringing to the table. It's definitely unique, but might be a tad too dark for me personally. At least one scene has shocked me to the point I won't be rewatching the series...ever.
  • Starry Sky - I'm still way behind with this. I've only watched the first two episodes, so I have a lot of catching up to do before I can give a realistic opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment